Pages

Previous posts

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Taking time for yourself

One particular day my ten year old son gently said to me "Mommy, all you do is work;  you should really take time for yourself.  Go ahead Mommy, I'll be OK..."

RETREAT:  \Ri-tret\ Webster’s dictionary defines this as (1) an act or process of withdrawing especially from what is dangerous, or difficult.  (2) A period of withdrawal.

I struggled with how to express the importance of taking time for yourself without sounding to cliche' or generic. Too often life's events become too consuming, exhausting, and sometimes even suffocating.  We venture out to be the rock for those who just need a helping hand. We stand strong for those who can no longer carry on.  We stay true to our commitments and responsibilities. Going the extra mile to afford our love one's a bit of peace.
Although we mean well, being the rock can be a blessing and a curse. No one considers the vulnerability of a rock. One can't even envision it's softer side. After all how is a rock described; hard, firm, stone, permanent, unchangeable state.
This is how we are viewed. These are the reasons it is expected of us.  I say all this to say it is our own responsibility to recognize our needs and carve out time to RETREAT. Finding that place in which we can relax.  Allowing our mind and body to stand-down and be at ease. Understand that you are just as much deserving of peace as the next person.
 When we accept that other people's experiences in life will vary and we are not meant to bare everyone's cross, we are only helpers, angels carrying out the work of a higher being; we can begin to stop punishing ourselves because of other's trials and tribulations. We can begin to set boundaries and balance our time so that our personal needs are also met.  It is common to think there's not enough time to RETREAT but there's always time. We can RETREAT in the most unconventional places, during the most unusual times. Remember it is important to take care of you just as well as you take care of others.

4 comments:

  1. I really like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true .. . I have found that in my own RETREAT I give myself permission to reflect on my true thoughts, feelings and emotions that I have neglected. I realise that I have choices and I choose to honour myself by nourishing and nuturing my body and soul, whether I listen to good music or take a walk in the countryside or be in the company of people who care for me. I choose to focus on the moments and experiences that make ME feel good and happy. Love your posts.....very thought provoking and inspiraional

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well put together. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this blog. Superb style!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails